30 Questions to Ask Your Kids About School Without Asking "How Was Your Day?"
We all know that the car ride can be like cutting through cheese with a spork trying to get our kids to tell us about our day.
One thing I have learned is at the end of the day open ended questions are your enemy and your kids will take full advantage. "I don't know", "fine", or "good" will be your typical answers.
So here's what I ask our kiddos when they get in the car:
- What was one kind thing you did today?
I remind them when I drop them off that I will ask about this at the end of the day. So they can be aware to do at least one thing, so they can tell me about it.
- What was something that was really funny today?
- Who did you want to play with today, but didn't get a chance to?
- Which person in your class did you have the most fun working with?
- How did you include a friend today?
- Did anyone upset you today?
- What was the funniest thing your teacher said today?
- What was your favorite part of PE or recess today? How do you play it?
- If you could change one thing about your day what would it be?
- Who was super fun to play with today?
- Who did you sit by at lunch today?
- Who would you like to sit by at lunch tomorrow?
- Did you have any embarrassing moments?
- What was the best thing you ate during lunch? The worst?
- Did you help anyone today?
- What silent reading book are you reading this week?
- Were any of your classmates sad today?
- Was anyone eating or playing alone today? What can we do to make sure they aren't alone tomorrow?
- What other job do you think your teacher would be really good at?
- Did anyone make you feel like they didn't understand you today?
- Did you hear a good joke today? Tell me.
- What did you learn about that we can google when we get home?
- What is one thing you want to get done tomorrow?
- Was there anything that made you upset today?
- What are you looking forward to tomorrow?
- Are you prepared for your (insert test, project, presentation, Etc) tomorrow? Is there anyway I can help you?
- Who in your class do you think you could have been nicer to today?
- What was your favorite subject today? Or what was your favorite thing you learned today?
- What is something interesting you learned or heard about today?
- What is something you could have done better at today?